Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week 6

1. Classmate's Blog
The 2 blogs I picked were Kathryn's and Tommy's
I picked Kathryn's blog because it is very well put together and had some had some good insight on the topics. I especially liked her thoughts on the McLuhan tetrad regarding the receiving aspect. Facebook makes it incredibly easy to find people we might have had to part ways with at one point in our lives, and it can bring us back together. I had really never thought of that, and I am happy she pointed that out.

I chose Tommy's blog because even though a company needs to have good information on their blogs, they also need to have an aesthetically pleasing and original looking design, I really think Tommy's blog, and the way he puts together his ideas, does that. It's very creative.

2. Social Media Marketing Blog
There are a plethora of blogs regarding social media marketing. The one I ended up choosing is called Flowtown. The specific blog entry I chose was Facebook's Timeline and the Evolution of Social Media. I chose this entry because it gives some good observations on Facebook's new timeline and the general direction our social media interactions are heading. The 2nd blog entry I chose was Should You Buy Twitter Followers?. This is a good post because it lists the pros and cons of buying followers and ultimately paying for your own popularity on one of the most popular social media websites, Twitter.

3. 3 Blogs used by businesses
 The first blog I chose was not so much a blog, but a Twitter account for the popular video game "Battlefield 3". I'm pretty positive it is ran by DICE, the company that developed the game. I give this account an A because although it is simple, whoever runs it takes good care of the customers that @ reply and mention the @battlefield handle. I know just by looking at the feed that the company is keeping in touch with its customers, It's good to keep a personal connection like that.
The second blog will be Tiger Direct's facebook. When I had facebook I used to "like" Tiger Direct and when you have them liked on facebook you could have access to special deals on some of their items. They also ask questions to fans and have contests and what not, I give the page a B because the relationship between the customer and company is still cloudy and has room for improvement.