Friday, February 24, 2012

Week 7

I picked 3 companies that I was particularly interested in and I ended up choosing, were Apple, Razer, and Newegg. They all had Facebook fan pages with hundreds of thousands of fans obviously.

My top pick is going to go with Newegg because 1. right after you like the page, it sends you to a welcome screen that you can enter your information to enter a contest to win things. This is good for them to get a hold of your address and information 2. they are always posting things on their wall about sales and deals they have going on, plus sometimes they will give you special deals if you have their Facebook page liked. I got 20 dollars off on a video card one time because I followed a link they had posted on their wall that was only available to Facebook friends.

My second pick is going to be Razer. This company makes professional quality PC gaming peripherals, they also just put out a top of the line, high performance gaming laptop. These guys weren't my number one because they don't ever offer deals on their products. A lot of their items are over priced, but they are much better quality than the second best which is usually not much cheaper. They are also good about communicating with their fan base on Facebook, you will always see posts asking what the customer thinks about x product. I think this is good for a company because you want to put out a product that the consumer wants, and asking the consumer directly is the best way to do it.

My third choice was Apple. This one is much bigger than the other 2 but the actual Page is not as impressive and interactive as the others. They do a fan of the week contest and promote their online store a little, but all in all the layout is bland and boring. I was suspicious that I might've picked a page that wasn't official, but it has 700k+ likes so I'm pretty sure that's the right one. I really agree on communicating with customers and fan base. I think in Apple's case though, they have a large enough following that really doesn't care what they do, and they will still buy their products.

Facebook vs. Google+. Right now, Facebook wins hands down, Google+ is very very new and honestly, I'm not sure a majority of people even know it exists yet. I've been on Google+ since the closed beta and it is now fully functional. It still reminds me of an old western ghost town with tumbleweed rolling across the ground. Don't get me wrong, it's great, I wish I could replace Facebook with it, but there is hardly anyone on it. Now 2 or 3 years from now, it has a great possibility of being a different story, hopefully. From a business standpoint, obviously Facebook is better. There are millions more people on Facebook, but it would be a good idea as a business to hop on the Google+ train.